AndyJ's Buggery room

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Britishants.com
Worker

Re: AndyJ's Buggery room

Post by Britishants.com » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:52 pm

I think Antkit has a larger one! #sizequeens lol

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 am

Britishants.com wrote:I think Antkit has a larger one! #sizequeens lol
Hmmm, best not talk about size as this is a family show. :D Anyway moving on. The ants had a busy night re consructing their fungus and they have done right in the middle of the pod which is good. might be because i blocked off the tubes but they haven't made any attempt to take it away. They have added some cotton wool to the garden. I will offer them some leaves later today. All is well i think.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:38 am

Good news, they have damp compost available? I put some in the feeding chamber on occasions and they can help themselves when needed! :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:52 am

I put a layer sterilised soil on top of the clay balls. I will give them access to the other pods later today and there is a sprinkle of soil in the waste pod. I obsess over compost having insectides added to it.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:41 pm

So at lunch time ( mine not there's )  i opened up the feeding pod,, so i suppose it was their lunch time too :? and offered up some Privet and Vinca major. I did see one ant later carrying a piece of leaf it had cut into the main pod so, i'm happy to know that they seem happy. Plenty of brood seen and i think iv'e spotted Queen Bernard in the pic at least. :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 am

Hi all quick update.

The ants have had a busy time and have started to add leaves to the fungus, really pleased they have settled in so well. :D I have opened up the waste pod for them and after some initial investigations they went back to their duties. They are being kept in total darkness until at least they feel secure then i'll see what happens with the lights on may be. My biggest problem is getting a decent photo as the pod has some condensation on the front. I think it's because the front is that much cooler even though i have a 5 mm acrylic window, so to combat this i have put some hard board in the window frame and covered it in tin foil. This will hopefully reflect the heat back to the front of the pod. Failing that i cold just use the jabbalite insulation, but this would be inconvenient  to take out for a quick view.

Temps 24.5 and humidity 99%

So a couple of hazy pics but you can see already how much green has been added.

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:36 am

Nice colony mate

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:52 am

Looks like things are going well Andy,

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I'd ditch the tissue but all looks good! Try some satsuma peel and if you can get it some emerging rose shoots! X all hail Queen Bernard! :D

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Cheers, really happy so far although a bit bored now cause i can't fiddle no more :) I left the tissue in as it may have made them feel a bit more at home, no idea if it made any difference but they stayed put so far. I have taken it out now. That was fun.... Not.