Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Bitterlime
Minim

Re: Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Post by Bitterlime » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:32 am

I hate to break it to you but I'm only 15 and I'm asthmatic so I won't be smoking any time soon!!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Bitterlime wrote:I hate to break it to you but I'm only 15 and I'm asthmatic so I won't be smoking any time soon!!!
Nonsense, all the kids round here smoke. None of them seem to suffer from Asthma so maybe smoking cures it. No wait, I think its the ones under 8 that drink that are healthy, the smokers do look a bit unsteady at times.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:45 pm

I just got back from London today, only been away for three days and left my colony in good hands with plenty of food! I also left them a tub of peat to see if they would prefer it and they have happily moved in, I'm still going to change the setup but for now they seem okay! I noticed a strange colour on the fungus and I'm wondering if it's anything to worry about?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:36 am

Hey Eloise, is the fungus about 2 golf balls in size? It's hard to tell from pic.
So did they take all their fungus from an area of soil to the place they are sitting in the photo? From the photo it looks pretty wet but if they moved on that then they must have wanted to.

Usually the colour of fungus is due to what they have cut, have you gave them anything unusual?

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Yeah the fungus is about the size of 2 golf balls maybe a bit smaller! They have completely buried the fungus now! They moved all of the fungus from the tray to the tub of peat, there are small bits of fungus left in the tray! I haven't fed them anything unusual, they won't take anything other than rose leaves! I have taken out all the old leaves and given them fresh ones! I found a solider in my brothers bedroom which is opposite my room I have no idea how she escaped! :?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 pm

My Acro's have been enjoying rose petals but also seems to like Ash, give that a try as mine are happy to take both together.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:01 pm

I will try giving them ash! Thanks!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:18 pm

I think Andy must have got shares in an Ash nursery. To be honest I have never tried it. I'll give it a go.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Quick update, I am currently in London but I have left my ants with loads of leaves and one of my family members will make sure that the soil is kept moist!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am

I've tried ash leaves and yes, the colony took them....they don't like small-leaved lime (Tilia cordata) leaves though....and still number one is bramble leaves! loosely followed by apple and red grapes..