Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Bitterlime's Acromyrmex octospinosis colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:21 pm

So you need to change things soon. The grape indicates the humidity problem, 80% needs to be 90%, temp needs to be stable. Maybe a case of back to the drawing board. Nice idea though!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Eloise, I would try a large heat mat placed on top of the Vitopod attached to a thermostat. Have the thermostat probe positioned about 2 inches below the mat and set it to 2 degrees lower than the vitopod is set at. You would tweek the temp so your getting minimum condensation under the mat (slight mist is good). This should improve humidity and when you look under the mat visibility will be much better for you.

If you try this be sure and totally dry the vitopod lid first as if you don't all that condensation that's built up will be forced down on to the fungus. I've made this mistake before using this technique and it set me back a bit with my last Acromyrmex colony.

I'm just saying what I would do here :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 pm

That sounds like a good idea, Jamie

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Eloise, I would try a large heat mat placed on top of the Vitopod attached to a thermostat. Have the thermostat probe positioned about 2 inches below the mat and set it to 2 degrees lower than the vitopod is set at. You would tweek the temp so your getting minimum condensation under the mat (slight mist is good). This should improve humidity and when you look under the mat visibility will be much better for you.

If you try this be sure and totally dry the vitopod lid first as if you don't all that condensation that's built up will be forced down on to the fungus. I've made this mistake before using this technique and it set me back a bit with my last Acromyrmex colony.

I'm just saying what I would do here :)
Thanks Jamie I'll try that!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I have had a week of practice exams which has been great fun! The ants are cutting but they have started to cover up the fungus with soil, it's almost completely covered. I'll defiantly post some pictures tomorrow! I am going to buy another heat mat this weekend and try Jamie's idea but I might have to design a new set up because the vitopod is not a very good setup for the ants and it's becoming more difficult to maintain a constant temperature and create the right conditions!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:32 pm

That is a small garden Eloise, things can't be right for them. You need to change things sooner rather later before its to late.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Deansie26 wrote:That is a small garden Eloise, things can't be right for them. You need to change things sooner rather later before its to late.
The fungus looks small in the pictures but half of the fungus is covered over with soil! But I'm going to change their setup!

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat May 21, 2016 12:42 pm

update: Hi I apologise for being inactive! I have been keeping up with everyone and everything that has been going on!
My colony is still alive, they are still cutting. I can't post any pictures at the moment, photobucket is not allowing me to upload photos! I am working on a new setup but I don't think the fungus is in good condition and I don't think that the fungus will survive if they continue to live in the vitopod! The fungus is not growing! Im not sure what to do!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sat May 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi, can you not go back to the original tank set up ? i see you had problems keeping the temps stable so perhaps put some http://www.diy.com/departments/jablite- ... 21115607:s around the sides. It has worked well for my incubator. Also try using flicr to host you photos, so much better. Good luck :)