Garden rose with Black spot disease

Everything else relating to Leaf Cutting Ants, chat, ideas, suggestions, housing projects etc
Leafcutter
Minim

Re: Garden rose with Black spot disease

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:25 am

I was waiting for other responses before posting mine to see what your ideas are about this. I can say I never especially picked non-black spot rose leaves and just 'chucked them in the bag' when collecting leaves. Don't think there was any ill-response to those leaves.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 am

Ive got some black spots and it doesnt stop the ants from biting me!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Jackie62 wrote:I'll give it a go tomorrow, just in case!!
They cut the leaves with black spot Jamie, sorry! You have ultra fussy ants.....please see my videos... :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:10 pm

It seems the case Jackie, Eggo my face ha ha

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:47 pm

Deansie26 wrote:It seems the case Jackie, Eggo my face ha ha
Not at all Jamie, mine went off rose leaves for a while and only took the petals. I try and make connections to food preferences too, and my latest is that they will not take Bramble leaves that have a felt like texture, only taking the more, leaf like normal feeling leaves. Lol dunno how to describe a normal leaf. Anyway they won't touch them. Now in an attempt to keep a discussion going, are there different varieties of wild Bramble ? All i know is that young leaves that haven't coloured up green yet and are reddish in appearance contain toxins and shouldn't be fed to some herbivorous insects. Acros take these without any problems it seems.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Ive got some black spots and it doesnt stop the ants from biting me!
Are your black spots on your white bits or brown bits? Whatever,, i decline to attempt to answer your answer :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Andyj wrote:
Acromyrmexbob wrote:Ive got some black spots and it doesnt stop the ants from biting me!
Are your black spots on your white bits or brown bits? Whatever,, i decline to attempt to answer your answer :)
Andy, I was about to write a reply saying I thought it was hilarious that the conversation simply continued and no one even showed any interest in my attempt at a joke. It was as if I was just being an idiot in the midst of a serious conversation, everyone just disregarded me and I felt suitable stupid! However you saved the day and salvaged my ego when you paid it lip service. Thank you! I have no opinion on black spots on roses, btw Never tried them. Intuitively I suspect there is no discrimination between healthy leaves and black spot.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:and no one even showed any interest in my attempt at a joke.
I also share your sorrow,,, i had my ants cut out a heart for our two ladies and i don't think they even saw it. It reminded me of school when i wrote a love letter to a girl who in turn showed the whole school and i just wanted to end it all. Scared me for life. :twisted: :roll: :D

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 pm

You two should catch up to share old timers jokes ;)

I thought I'd struck gold for you PhD :lol:

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Andyj wrote:
Acromyrmexbob wrote:and no one even showed any interest in my attempt at a joke.
I also share your sorrow,,, i had my ants cut out a heart for our two ladies and i don't think they even saw it. It reminded me of school when i wrote a love letter to a girl who in turn showed the whole school and i just wanted to end it all. Scared me for life. :twisted: :roll: :D
Yes, Eloise is cold and Jackie's a scientist, no room for that sentimental nonsense. If you had gotten them to cut a heart out for me, I would have responded. :oops: