Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
PsyAnt
Larva

Re: Hello

Post by PsyAnt » Tue May 15, 2018 9:08 pm

they do cut leaves and add to the fungus tho so there is new growth but not fast as its decreasing..and they didnt forage much lately too. maybe was the apple and grape that made them not cut leaves.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm

PsyAnt wrote:i have done my research but the seller just told me to add a outworld no heat matts nothings and do the feeding, but after 3 days the fungus decreased in size, so i added the into a water tank setup and added their tube in a bit larger tub with a hole and some coco husk( damp) i have found someone to send me some more fungus from their colony with some workers to maintain the fungus. i'm afraid i just followed the wrong instructions. i cant seem able to add pics as they are too big to add here from my phone. i always have bramble and privet lettuce and tendersem broccoli stopped adding apple and grapes. what would be the best setup to add them in or the water tank is fine? i have set the temps to 22 for the water, i knew something was wrong so im glad i found this forum.
Well, we have our colony here set at an ambient temperature of 25 to 27 degrees C, but the unit is large (3m long and 2.8m high). Is your humidity OK? Our water temp is around 30 degrees C and this creates a nice humidity. I measure this and ambient temp all the time with a data logger. Why did you stop adding apple if they like it? I can't add photos either but there are some on here who may be able to help you. :)

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Small colonie like this that the fungus is not even larger than 2 or 3 centimetres i was advised to only provide leaves. I managed to check and my humidity is at 85 more a less the water temp is set to 24. But should i make it to 30? As maybe the temp in the small tub isnt hot as the water. Since i managed to change them into this water tank setup they probably will be fine. I got someone to send me some fungus golf ball size so hopefully they will accept the workers and majors and add this as i was afraid the fungus would dry out completely. But i think it was all temp and humidity but when i pirchased them i was advised otherwise so know i know not to listen to certain people.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

PsyAnt wrote:Small colonie like this that the fungus is not even larger than 2 or 3 centimetres i was advised to only provide leaves. I managed to check and my humidity is at 85 more a less the water temp is set to 24. But should i make it to 30? As maybe the temp in the small tub isnt hot as the water. Since i managed to change them into this water tank setup they probably will be fine. I got someone to send me some fungus golf ball size so hopefully they will accept the workers and majors and add this as i was afraid the fungus would dry out completely. But i think it was all temp and humidity but when i pirchased them i was advised otherwise so know i know not to listen to certain people.
I think it's best if you talk to Andrew or Andy perhaps, maybe you should PM them? Good luck

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Nick send me your photos. Andy027027atgmail.Com the at being@ and ill post them for you. We need to see what your set up is like. Not sure about adding the workers you may end up losing the lot.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm

I send you soon the photos of how i have them now thank you for your help. So is it advised only the fungus?? Where should i add the new fungus? And method of removing the workers on it?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm

The chances are is that the fungus will arrive broken up anyway so just manually remove the ants from it. You could leave one just to see the reaction to how it is received. There is also the chance the fungus won't be accepted but its certainly worth a try. I would keep the new fungus separate from the main colony but close, in a small humid pot with access and see how it goes. I have not done this so trial and error here. I would think Andrew has experience with this. Most important though are the temps and humidity. Water temp will depend on your ambient temps, youll just have to monitor it and adjust. The foraging area isnt critical but should be above 20c. It's the fungus area that is most important. Sens me the pics so we can have a look.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 pm

I sent you the pics, the temps in the water is set to switch at 24. The tub is 24.2, humidity is 85 so far. The person who is sending said they tried this before and they accepted all workers and majors, but he will pick the majors off and leave some workers and brood to boost the colony.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Not received pics, try andyj027027@gmail.com

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Sent, maybe junk folder? Or spam folder?