Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
PsyAnt
Larva

Hello

Post by PsyAnt » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi there im Nick From King's Lynn, newbie on the leafcutter ants but kept a few exotic species pf ants and finally got the chance to keep A small colony of Acromyrmex Octospinosus leafcutter ants from British ants. I have them connected on a tube with a small outworld where i provide the leaves and food. Any tips are welcome, do people give water to these species seen many setups where no water is Provided. :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Andyj » Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Nick and welcome aboard. Congrats on getting your Acro's. I provide water for mine only as the water the cut plants, leaves stand in, and my ants are always drinking or taking water on, pretty much all the time. Some people i know don't bother as they say they can get water from the condensation that forms. Strangely i have not really noticed mine drinking from condensation but certainly from the water pots and if i spill any. So yes, i believe it's something you should provide..

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you, i always did provide water to them but was curious. And than, you, the fungus is really small but hopefully they will work hard to make it nice and pretty xD still deciding what setup i should use in the future, moat or just pods.. all have theyr goods and bads,

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Have a browse through the members journals and you'll get plenty of ideas. I'm thinking of changing mine but can't decide lol...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Nick, its Andrew. Great to see you here. Lots of info around on just about every issue you might come across. The small amount of fungus you have with your Acros means there is little room for error. So its important that you keep an eye on the ants and make sure the fungus always has a dark area where they are adding leaves. If you keep the temperature nice and stable and ensure the humidity immediately where the fungus is is nice and high (ideally over 90%, then you really can go wrong. A humidity meter with a probe positioned almost touching the fungus is the best way to measure this. Humidity can change dramatically a few cm's from where you are measuring. I would suggest you start a journal in the journal section and post daily updates for the next while with your observations. We will then be able to monitor your setup. A pic on that thread would be good also.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

What would be the best way to keep them at this size? As i have them with no heat matts or nothing as it was advised to me. The fungus seemed to be growing a bit but now seems to be being smaller in size only after 2 days. They always have available apple grapes provet bramble lettuce and brocoli. I will folllow that advice and do so people can be able to see and help me put.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

The temperature should above all else be stable. Try to get them sitting at around 24C, no less than 22C and no more than 26C. Humidity as high as possible, but dont have them dripping with condensation. If it was me I would give them a handful of peat type potting compost, they will use this to sculpt a nest area and help maintain himidity. No more than a large tablespoon full, ideally you want to be able to see the fungus so you can monitor it. Dont offer grapes or apple, the ants tend to eat that and not add to the fungus. At this stage you want the focus on the fungus. Privet and Bramble is good, you can offer other types along with these two but we know they will use these two all of the time so if they are not using them you know somethings wrong and we can fix it. But stress to you, with that small amount of fungus you will need to be vigilant. If something is not right that fungus will go within a couple of days.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello Nick, Jackie here from Cambridge (where our colony lives at Anglia Ruskin University). I am quite newish and post about our new Atta colony on here. We did have an Acro colony for 15 years, but they died this year, not a bad innings for a captive colony.
There's lots of info on the forum and great people, so welcome aboard!

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm

i have done my research but the seller just told me to add a outworld no heat matts nothings and do the feeding, but after 3 days the fungus decreased in size, so i added the into a water tank setup and added their tube in a bit larger tub with a hole and some coco husk( damp) i have found someone to send me some more fungus from their colony with some workers to maintain the fungus. i'm afraid i just followed the wrong instructions. i cant seem able to add pics as they are too big to add here from my phone. i always have bramble and privet lettuce and tendersem broccoli stopped adding apple and grapes. what would be the best setup to add them in or the water tank is fine? i have set the temps to 22 for the water, i knew something was wrong so im glad i found this forum.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Thank you Jackie i hope to learn a lot from people here, that's really nice to hear of a captive colony.