Hello

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
PsyAnt
Larva

Re: Hello

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

The leafes i change daily or 2 in 2 days as i heard some colonies like dry leaves aswell but i dont give that as the only leave source. Those pics are taken when changin setups i could take nice pics with pretty leaves when i put them in, but that tip on making leaves fresh longer i agree and will do that. Just dont think by i having a pic of not many leaves on doesnt meant I don't add fresh never. I see well thats an issue aswell as difrent people have diffrent theories, most people tell 80 plus is fine some 90 so sometimes its hard for a newbie to know what to do. Just like temps most research i done says 19-25 some people say 24-37c and some say room temperature is fine, altho guides for these species say otherwise, so sorry about long posts and me not knowing whats the best for each persons advice but i am thankfull for all the tips, i shall add that link maybe its the easier way,

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 am

Here is a video of them once i got them.
https://youtu.be/epqiQ-0uqE8

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi Nick, i know only too well what you mean about conflicting advice. The thing with Acro's are that they are more tolerant then Atta. If they don't like something they generally move out so there is a bit more lee way regarding temps and humidity. But the more stable you can keep it, the better it will be. Andrew Stephenson, the owner of this forum and probably pretty much the main supplier of Leaf cutters in Europe is GOD ( brownie point please ) He travels the world setting up displays in zoo's and other establishments, so what he advises is what we try to achieve. In the wild their natural climate remains stable specially under ground where the fungus is so they aren't equipped for big changes.

Just as a test, you could put some peat in that spare tub and see what happens. They will either take it out and put it in the tube or take their fungus to it. At least they will have a choice they can make on their own.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Ok so looking at that second vid you really don't have much to go with but they are tending it so all should be well. Try placing some leaves directly by the entrance of the tube, some young Privet and Bramble, try not to get the Bramble that's very hairy. Mine won't touch that. Let us know what happens..
Last edited by Andyj on Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Good to see your colony Nick! early days, but as Andy says, they are tending to it, which is very good.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Andyj wrote:Hi Nick, i know only too well what you mean about conflicting advice. The thing with Acro's are that they are more tolerant then Atta. If they don't like something they generally move out so there is a bit more lee way regarding temps and humidity. But the more stable you can keep it, the better it will be. Andrew Stephenson, the owner of this forum and probably pretty much the main supplier of Leaf cutters in Europe is GOD ( brownie point please ) He travels the world setting up displays in zoo's and other establishments, so what he advises is what we try to achieve. In the wild their natural climate remains stable specially under ground where the fungus is so they aren't equipped for big changes.

Just as a test, you could put some peat in that spare tub and see what happens. They will either take it out and put it in the tube or take their fungus to it. At least they will have a choice they can make on their own.
Andy.....Andrew's head won't fit out his front door!!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Yea i thought that too. Gotta give the bloke some love eh :)

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah unfortunately for someone that has some experience and whants to get into these magnificent ants gets a bit hard, but i guess i should really done or asked before hand, another case of the sellers saying that will be fine just take it.. i will try to add something to that tub and close it with a hole in the lid to see. I will place the leaves today in the tub going now fech some from the park. And Jackie yeah the fungus was a bit more than that when i got it but in the space of 3 days shrinked to that. Since i added them to this setup i dont see orange fungus and it actually look ok in a positive view, so i guess ill try to make it as stable as possible to these temps and humidity. Altho i have more fungus comming tomorow so not sure if was a good idea or whats the best way to add it or creat a better setup for them. ( where the fungus would be placed. And thank you all for the help might actually save this colony that would be a really nice thing, the temps where always 22 so i made sure the heater is set to 25 wich made temps go to 25.9 maybe slightly better now with a vented cover on top of the main setup. I do say sorry tho as this setup was invented in like 10 minutes just to try to remedy the situation

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Andyj wrote:Yea i thought that too. Gotta give the bloke some love eh :)
Yeah, definitely.... :)