pleometrosis

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Kalidas
Pupa

pleometrosis

Post by Kalidas » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:35 pm

So I have been doing more reading and research on the ants I got my eye on for next year (Acromyrmex Versicolor) and noticed they engage in pleometrosis in the founding stage of their Colonies.

Is this recommended in captivity, or is it better to keep the queens separate? If so what is the safest and beat way to do it to ensure the best chance for colony survival?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: pleometrosis

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:33 pm

If I had access to a wild population I would certainly keep several queens together. The chances of success are very much enhanced. But remember to separate once they get past a month or so with workers and fungus or you may lose the colony due to fighting as queens seek to be the one left!

Kalidas
Pupa

Post by Kalidas » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Lucky me I do have access lol.

What's a good way to seperate, take brood, some fungus and seperate between the queens evenly?

Or pick one queen to be the chosen one and then what with the others?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:47 pm

If it was me I would wait until the fungus was large enough to take a queen and a small amount of fungus and place them on their own. Then wait until the fungus has grown again and take another with fungus. And so on until all the queens are separated.

Kalidas
Pupa

Post by Kalidas » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Okay cool thanks for that advice. I really only want the one colony (convincing my GF to have a second ant colony besides my Camponotus will already be a challenge)

But I'm sure if I can get a couple going selling wouldn't be a terrible idea. Or heck even giving some away to friends as gifts would be cool